Thursday, September 17, 2015

Double Edged Sword

"For the word of God is alive and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

     Since I have started this crazy road to publishing my first book, people have asked me why I write.  This verse pretty much sums up my purpose for writing.  I want to use my stories and my characters to show that God's Word, the Bible, is 'alive and active' in the world today.

     My own love for Scripture started when I was a little girl.  I used to see my dad reading his Bible every day.  The fact that he set aside time to study God's Word showed me how important he thought it was.  I would often see my dad, highlighter in hand, underlining specific verses that spoke to him.  I remember the time this observation got me into some trouble.  My parents had bought me a children's Bible.  One night, when my dad opened it to read me a story, he noticed different colored crayon marks covering much of the text.  Of course my dad got more than a little upset.  Why was I scribbling all over my Bible?  When he questioned me about it, I explained that I was just trying to be like him.  His frustration dissolved, and if I'm not mistaken, he seemed to be flattered and impressed at the same time.  I guess that goes to show that you never know what habits your kids are picking up by watching you.

     Flash forward many (many) years and I am proud to say that I have moved on from my children's Bible.  I am also proud to say that my Bible is still getting colored in.  I highlight verses that speak to me, draw pictures in the margin, and generally mark it all up.  I will never forget the look on Pastor's face when I opened my Bible to Hebrews chapter 10 and he saw the blood drops I had drawn all over it to remind me of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.  Jesus paid it all, right?  Anyway, I'm glad that my Bible gets put to good use.  I hold it close in times of trial.  I seek its wisdom when I need guidance.  I pray the Psalms when I want to praise God for all He is and all He does in my life.

     I am happy to be sharing my thoughts about scripture with you.  I hope after reading my posts and reading my books that you, dear reader, will also be able to say with confidence that the Word of God is alive and active. 



No comments:

Post a Comment